TeachersFirst Book Study
Personalized Reading: Digital Strategies and Tools to Support All Learners
by Michelle Haiken
Deadline to apply is
Professional book studies can be an important addition to an educator's professional development plans. In our book studies, a group of educators gather together to engage in virtual professional learning conversations to share knowledge around a specific topic.
Our topic for this session is Digital tools and Reading Strategies to support all learners. As a part of our commitment to providing resources that support reading proficiency for diverse learners, Personalized Reading is an excellent starting point for educators looking to support students' reading proficiency across content areas.
Together we will read and discuss Personalized Reading and determine how reading the book will influence our professional practice.
About Our Book Study
Our book study focuses on technology implementation strategies. Guided by the ISTE Standards, our goal is to help participants forge a better understanding of how to use technology to improve student learning. Throughout the study you will have the opportunity to:
- Explore pedagogical approaches made possible through the use of technology.
- Identify, explore, evaluate, and curate digital resources and tools.
- Design authentic learning activities that facilitate active, deep learning.
- Learn about alternative ways for students to demonstrate competency.
How the Book Study Works
Book Study participants have the opportunity to earn CEUs through their active participation.
- Apply Now. The application deadline is December 15, 2023, so apply ASAP! You must live in the United States to participate.
Download and review our Book Study Starter Kit. It explains:
- How to gain access to our Microsoft Team.
- What professional learning conversations are.
- Our rubric for book study discussions.
- How to prepare to participate in the book study.
- Each week, you'll be assigned a reading passage, a knowledge construction/application activity, and a topic for discussion. You'll engage in virtual discussion with others in the book study.
At the conclusion of the book study, if you have actively participated in discussions, followed the rubric, and attended the two required live sessions, you will receive a certificate of completion and reimbursement for the price of the eBook.
December 15, 2023: Book study application deadline.
January 9, 2024: Book study Kick off meeting (7PM EDT).
February 29, 2024: Closing webinar (7PM EDT).
February 16, 2024: Formal discussions conclude.
February 29, 2024: All discussion and application assignments due.
** $30 Reimbursement for the text on successful completion of the study.
- 18 hours for attending meetings, reading, and discussion (required)
- 15 hours available for completion of additional written reflection and application activities (optional)